A top 10 wouldn’t do justice to this list so I’ve crafted a top 20 for UK Hotels and UK & European Restaurants.
The criteria is based on the wow factor of the time that delivered something I’d not experienced before, or provides a level of incredible service, skills and quality that still exists today. These lists tend to transcend accolades because the experience, at least to me, was cutting edge and pioneering at the time. That’s not to say there aren’t other superb hotels and restaurants. Those I’ve selected are very personal to me and represent quite a few destinations I’ve visited on several occasions. Key to visiting many of those listed was getting to understand the DNA of their success and how uniqueness and commitment can drive and sustain stability within a niche market.
If you’re not on the list it might be that I’ve not visited yet! The list is updated from time to time as new destinations are experienced.
Hotels that represent world class standards of luxury and service, hotels that just exceeded every expectation when I visited.
1. Le Manoir aux Quat’Saison, Great Milton
2. The Carlton Tower, London
3. The Torridon, Torridon, Scotland
4. Chewton Glen, New Forest.
5. Lucknam Park, Colerne
6. The Gilpin Hotel & Lake House, Windermere.
7. Amberley Castle, Amberley
8. Gleneagles, Auchtetarder, Scotland
9. The Old Course, St Andrews
10. Claridges, London
11. The Three Chimneys, Isle of Skye
12. The Dorchester, London
13. The Vineyard, Stockcross
14. Pennyhill Park, Bagshot
15. Rudding Park Hotel & Spa, Harrogate
16. Seaham Hall, Seaham
17. Pale Hall, Bala
18. St Martins on the Isle, Scilly Isles
19. L’Horizon, Jersey
20. Sharrow Bay, Ullswater (Closed)
Exquisite Dining Experiences. The unforgettable moments, like I was there yesterday.
1. Mugaritz, San Sebastián, Spain
2. Noma, Copenhagen, Denmark
3. Arzak, San Sebastián Spain
4. Akelarre, San Sebastián, Spain
5. Hof van Cleve, Riemegemstraat, Belgium
6. Epicure, Paris, France
7. Oak Room, Marco Pierre White, London (Closed)
8. El Celler de Can Roca, Girona, Spain
9. La Tante Claire, (Pierre Koffmann) London (Closed)
10. Fat Duck, Bray
11. Pollen Street Social, London
12. Nico, (Victoria), London (Closed)
13. Osteria Francescana, Modena, Italy
14. The Ritz, London
15. Restaurant Andrew Fairlee, Gleneagles
16. House of Tides, Newcastle.
17. Midsummer House, Cambridge
18. Tom Aitkins, Elystan Street, London (Closed)
19. L’Enclume, Cartmel
20. A Wong, London